Whether you’re looking to give your home a fresh coat of paint or touch up a few areas, painting your brick exterior can be a great way to add curb appeal. However, choosing the right color and doing it right can be very daunting. This blog features some of the best house painting tips for your brick exterior and much more about brick exteriors. Keep reading to learn more!
Why Is It a Good Idea to Paint Your Brick Exteriors?
Are you thinking about painting your brick exterior but aren’t sure if it’s a good idea? Here are some top reasons why painting your brick exterior can be a great idea:
- It can freshen up the look of your home.
- It can be a relatively easy and inexpensive way to update your home’s exterior.
- Painting can protect your brick from weathering and other damage.
- It can be a great way to add personalization and style to your home.
- It can be a relatively easy and affordable project to do.
These are some great reasons to do it if you’re thinking about painting your brick exterior. It can freshen up the look of your home, protect your bricks from damage, and help you achieve the look you want. It can also be a relatively easy and affordable project to do.
Top 6 House Painting Tips for Your Brick Exterior
A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for your home’s curb appeal—especially if you have a brick exterior. While painting brick may seem daunting, it’s not that difficult—as long as you follow a few simple tips. Here are the top six tips for painting your brick exterior:
1. Choose the Right Type of Paint
The first step to painting brick is to choose the right type of paint. You’ll want to use latex paint specifically designed for brick and masonry. This paint will adhere better to the surface and be more durable.
2. Prepare the Surface
Before you start painting, you’ll need to prepare the surface. This means cleaning the brick to remove dirt, grime, or mildew. You can use a power washer for this or do it by hand with a brush and soapy water. This will help remove any buildup that could prevent the paint from adhering correctly.
3. Use a Primer
You may also need to repair any cracks or damage to the brick. Once the surface is clean, you’ll need to apply a primer. This will help the paint adhere better and provide a base color, resulting in a smoother and better finish. Choose a primer similar to the color of the paint you’ll be using.
4. Paint the Brick
Now it’s time to start painting! Start with a small brush and paint the mortar joints first. Then, use a roller to paint the rest of the brick surface. Use a brush or roller designed explicitly for painting bricks. This will help prevent paint from seeping into the bricks and ruining the finish of the exterior.
5. Paint in Small Sections
When painting brick, it’s best to work in small sections to apply the paint evenly. Furthermore, make sure to smooth out any brush strokes. Once you’ve finished painting, allow the paint to dry completely before applying the second coat of paint.
6. Clean up Any Paint Drips
Once the paint is dry, you’ll need to clean up any paint drips or smears. Use a damp cloth to wipe away any excess paint. Furthermore, it is always recommended to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. This will help ensure the best results possible.
By following these tips, you can paint your brick exterior with confidence.
Things to Consider While Choosing Paint for Brick Exterior
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing paint for your brick exterior. The type of brick and the condition of the brick are the two most important factors.
- Type of Brick: There are two main types of brick, absorbent and non-absorbent. If your brick is absorbent, it will absorb more paint, and the color will be more intense. If your brick is non-absorbent, it will not absorb as much paint, and the color will be more subdued.
- Condition of Brick: The condition of the brick will also affect how the paint looks. If the brick is in good condition, the paint will go on evenly and look smooth. If the brick is in poor condition, the paint will not go on evenly and may look uneven and unprofessional.
- Paint Quality and Shade: First, you’ll want to choose a durable paint that will withstand the elements. Second, you’ll want to choose a color that compliments your brick. And finally, you’ll want to ensure the paint is applied correctly so that it lasts for years.
And finally, know that painting a wall just means you are coating its surface, so it will chip and degrade over time due to weather and other elements. Therefore, proper maintenance of the painted brick exterior is very important.
Painting your brick exterior is an easy way to add some personalization to your house and protect the brick exterior from weathering and damage. Choosing the right paint and prepping the surface before painting are two of the most important things to remember before painting your brick exterior.
With all the tips and tricks in mind, mistakes are still possible if you paint your exterior for the first time. In such cases, hiring professionals is always a good idea to ensure things turn out the way you want them to. Bob Kunst Painting, Inc. consists of professional painting contractors providing painting services in Marin County, Napa County, and Sonoma County. Contact us today to learn more about our residential and commercial painting services.